October 1st – 7th
- Set up an ancestor shrine. (Add objects to shrine as the month progresses.)
- Obtain charms for Barm Brack (a ring, a coin, a stick, a pea, and a thimble), as well as any other supplies needed for Samhain crafts.
October 8th – 14th
- Work on Samhain crafts and decorate home.
- Plan Samhain feast and make a grocery list.
- Make costumes for kids (or help them make their own).
October 15th – 21st
- Firm up ritual plans, if you haven’t already. Will you be attending a festival, local event, a family event, or doing something on your own? If you are planning the ritual, decide on location and script/liturgy.
- Carve turnips and/or pumpkins.
- Make treat bags for trick-or-treaters.
October 22nd – 28th
- Do food shopping for Samhain feast & treats.
- Make sugar skulls and decorate with icing.
- Make popcorn balls and caramel apples.
- Bake Barm Brack and any other dishes for the Samhain feast that can be made ahead.
- Visit graves of loved ones and ancestors, if possible.
- Cook the Samhain feast. (Keep warm in crock pots for later in the night.)
- Light candles on ancestor shrine at dusk.
- Treat the trick-or-treaters (or take kids trick-or-treating).
- Observe ritual and have feast.