A while back I was wondering if anyone has ever come up with a modern day Celtic “mantra”. I did a Google search and didn’t exactly find what I was looking for, but what I did find was a CD called “Celtic Mantras” by Sarva-Antah. I listened to the song from the CD titled “Prayer for Your Druid Beads“. I really liked it because it contains very nice prayers to the Three Kindreds.
I liked it so much that I decided to make some prayer beads and use the song as a weekly devotional. I had been wanting to make a Celtic rosary a while back but I couldn’t figure out what prayers I wanted to use. So I was very pleased to find this. But I couldn’t make out all the lyrics from listening, and came up with nothing in searching with Google.
So I decided I’d look at Druidic prayer bead designs and figure out the lyrics later. So I searched “Druid prayer beads” and I found “Three Kindreds Prayer Beads, A Druid Devotional“. Those were the prayers used in that beautiful song, and instructions to make the Druid beads from the website “Celtic Prayer Book”. What a nice surprise!
I didn’t construct mine exactly as the instructions described, however. I didn’t use the opening and concluding prayer either. I designed mine to be more in line with ADF Druid cosmology, with additional beads, bits of ADF and such, though it doesn’t quite have all the items from the ADF “core order of ritual”.
These are the beads I used:
9 (8mm) obsidian beads for the Ancestors (Mighty Ones)
9 (8mm) jade beads for the Nature Spirits (Noble Ones)
9 (8mm) amethyst beads for the Gods & Goddesses (Shining Ones)
4 large spiral beads (3 to introduce each set above, and 1 for a final Kindreds blessing)
1 triskele bead for the Sacred Center of Fire, Well, and Tree (I couldn‘t find a triskele rosary center, so I wired three spiral charms together.)
1 earth-tone stone bead for Realm of Land
1 sea-green stone bead for Realm of Sea
1 blue and white stone star bead for the realm of Sky
1 tree pendant
And these are the prayers:
1. Tree – On the tree pendant I do a Tree of Life/ Two Powers meditation
2. Land – On the earth-tone stone bead, I say “The holy Land supports me.”
3. Sea – On the sea-green stone bead, I say “The primal Sea surrounds me.”
4. Sky – On the blue & White star-shaped stone bead, I say “The shining Sky ever arches above me.”
5. Sacred Center – On the triskelle I say,
“Fire, Well, and Sacred Tree,
flow and flame and grow in me.
Gatekeeper, walker of the ways between,
may the gates between the worlds be open.”
6. – 11. For the main body of the set, I use the prayers from “Three Kindreds Prayer Beads, A Druid Devotional“, leaving out the first and last paragraphs. (My spiral beads correspond to their “sun beads”.) The three main Kindreds prayers are the ones that are in the song.
12. On the last spiral bead I say, “I bind unto myself today
The Love, Guidance, and blessings of the Three Kindreds.”
13. Which brings me back to the Sacred Center, where I say, “Thanks be to the Kindreds. O Gatekeeper, may the gates of the worlds be closed.”