Just for fun I thought I’d compile a list of things for kids to do on rainy days that do not involve sitting down with a bowl of popcorn watching a movie:
1. Jump in puddles.
2. Get out all your bathtub toys and float them in mud puddles.
3. Make boats to float in puddles from various recycled materials (egg shells, foam trays).
4. Paint sturdy paper with thick watercolor paint and leave in the rain for a while to see what designs the raindrops make.
5. Draw on sidewalks with chalk- it’s more like paint when wet.
6. Collect and filter rainwater.
7. Blow bubbles and watch the rain pop the bubbles.
8. Take a nature walk to see how animals and insects take shelter in the rain. Look for frogs.
9. Count the seconds between lighting and thunder to calculate how far away the storm is. Divide the number by five. It takes about five seconds for the sonic boom to travel one mile. If the thunder and lighting are too close, go inside- you wouldn’t want to get struck by lighting!
10. Do crafts, lots and lots of crafts!
After you’ve done all this, maybe now you do want to sit down with a bowl of popcorn and watch a movie. I’ve got a list for that too…
Some of the best magical and Pagan-ish movies for kids that I know of (not including holiday themed- which I will list later)
1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Spirited Away
3. The Golden Compass
4. The Spiderwick Chronicles
5. The NeverEnding Story
6. The Harry Potter series of movies
7. Jim Henson’s The Storyteller Collection
8. Peter Pan
9. Howl’s Moving Castle
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. Return to Oz
12. A Wrinkle in Time
13. Alice in Wonderland
14. The Dark Crystal
15. The Gnome-Mobile